Wednesday, May 19, 2010

This blog is not what i had planned it to be...

I had a huge title planned for this blog but it didn't fit so i put it in the actual blog text then read it and became physically sick. Sometimes i don't recognise my own writing and occasionally I'm disgusted by it, like just now, I cant believe i can be that ignorant and horrifying... the word evil comes to mind but maybe that's an exaggeration.
I wonder how many people on the earth are familiar with the concept of evil. In recent years i have tried to comprehend it, realising it is much more complex than a violation of simple ethics embraced by the most faiths.
I can't remember the first time i read the bible... i think i am more familiar with it than most people my age in my society. I don't think anyone ever told me the meaning behind the new testament or even discussed it with me. People tend to concentrate on the plot, god sent his son down to earth who sacrificed himself to save the souls of everyone, the whole john 3:16 thing.
Nobody questions why a sacrifice was the only way redemption of man could happen.
I always assumed it's about war. How many soldiers lives can a leader of an army sacrifice for the greater good?...
War has always been about the struggle between good and evil with each side believing they are the good side.

People tend to mix up "it's honourable to fight for a good cause" with "it's honourable to kill for a good cause"
Horace said it best: Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori.

That phrase has been used countless times to justify a nation going to war with another. People seem so obsessed with a death on the battlefield being an honourable death, it seems to me to be the least honourable death, leaving everyone who hold you dear to the horror that is bereavement.

I've grown upset and confused by writing this so i think I'll make tea now.

No comments: